Title: Deputy Director of Finance and Administration
Office: Affiliate Offices
Location: Miami, FL
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Deputy Director of Finance and Administration who must have solid communication, technology, analytical, and management skills and will be responsible for maintaining all accounting, financial processes, and reporting. These functions will be performed in order to support the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the organization’s Miami office.
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Deputy Director of Finance and Administration is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Finance and Administration Department. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring timely and accurate financial records as well as compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the handling of revenue, recording of expenses, banking and payment processing.
- In conjunction with the CFO, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on an ad-hoc, monthly, and annual basis.
- Assess the organization’s accounting and financial management systems, policies and procedures. Work with the CFO to recommend, design and implement improvements.
- Develop and enforce policies, procedures, and workflow enhancements to ensure proper internal controls and to maximize protection of organizational assets.
- Prepare, produce and analyze a variety of regular and ad-hoc financial reporting for internal review by the CFO, Executive Director and Department Heads.
- Prepare an annual budget in conjunction with the CFO, the Executive Director, Department Heads and the Programmatic Campaigns.
- Oversee the execution and timely completion of the annual audit, information returns (Form 990s), 1099s, and tax reports, and serve as the primary liaison with the independent auditors.
- Work with the Development staff to classify and record revenue daily, reconcile internal monthly revenue reporting and to prepare the annual revenue sharing submission to the National ACLU.
- Manage and oversee the staff reimbursement and timekeeping systems.
- Manage and oversee payroll accounting including any payroll changes to the QuickBooks.
- Manage day to day bookkeeping and serve as backup when needed.
- Manage the allocation of staff time and expense between the three legal entities:C3, C4, and PAC.
- Prepare and enter journal entries to QuickBooks.
- Control A/P, A/R and maintain accurate/updated schedules.
- Prepare and complete monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations.
- Manage special projects as needed.
- Assist and support the CFO in the day-to-day management of the Finance & Administration Department staff and operations as well as directly supervise the accounting staff (e.g. Payroll Specialist).
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in Accounting, Business or related field.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political organization.
- A commitment to diversity and an ability to work collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations regardless of their race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
- Team player with the ability to engage various constituencies in a complex environment.
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to learn.
- Self-starter, with an ability to work independently when necessary.
- A strong commitment to follow-through and meeting deadlines.
- Should possess working knowledge of regulatory standards, including generally accepted accounting principles.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to process and calculate payroll including garnishments and benefits deduction
- Good understanding of various employee benefit plans (i.e. FSA, HSA, & 401K) and their related effect on federal and state payroll tax calculations is a plus
- Ability to quickly learn and use new technology and software. Proficient with QuickBooks, Payroll, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Attention to detail with strong analytical, management and organizational skills.
- 5+ years’ previous experience in Accounting/Bookkeeping
- Applicants must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, have strong customer service skills as well as strong written, phone and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $75,000 – $100,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please send cover letter, resume, by email to email@example.com. All inquiries should include Deputy Director of Finance and Admin in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required.